Sign up for e-News Donate
Mississippi Valley Archaeology Center

Site Snippets

Sanford Archaeological District – Lanceolate Blade

November 8, 2018

This large, thin lanceolate blade was found during excavations in the early 2000s at the Sanford Archaeological District (SAD) in La Crosse, Wisconsin. When found, the blade was vertical, tip down, as if it had been holding something in place.…

Midway Village – 1988 Excavations

October 18, 2018

During the summer of 1988, MVAC mounted an intensive salvage excavation project at the Midway Village, located north of La Crosse, Wisconsin.  With the cooperation of the landowner and the sand/gravel mining company it was possible to plan an entire…

Gullickson – Fish

October 4, 2018

Petroglyph of a fish (possibly a catfish) from Gullickson’s Glen, a small overhanging rock shelter in the Driftless Area of southwestern Wisconsin.  Petroglyphs (carvings) at the site occur at the center of the shelter and on either edge.  The central…

Sand Lake Archaeological District – Woodland Points

August 23, 2018

Forty-four projectile points were recovered during the 2008 excavations at the Sand Lake Archaeological District, located north of La Crosse, Wisconsin. Seven of the points are relatively large straight or contracting stemmed forms that conform typologically with Early Woodland Kramer…

Larson Cave

June 28, 2018

Larson Cave is a small, naturally formed cave/shelter with precontact petroglyphs and occupation debris. No diagnostic artifacts have been found there, but regional comparisons suggest the cave was probably used between about ca. 250 B.C. and A.D. 1500.  A panel…